Friday, November 26, 2010

CGPA 3.5 or 3.8?

Salam everybody.

My name is Chua Pei Yong and I am still new in blog world.

For your information, students from Diploma of Pharmacy need to get CGPA of 3.8 to continue Bachelor of Pharmacy at Malaysia.

WHAT??

That's even higher than the requirement to enter bachelor of medicine and Surgery (MBBS).

That's right, MBBS.


Anyway, i found this article interesting...hope Pharmacy Board can consider about lowering the bar.


Title: Degree in Pharmacy: Need to revise the grading
Date: 22-Sep-2010
Category: NST online
I AM facing a predicament regarding my daughter's education and would like to seek clarification on this matter.

When I enrolled my daughter in Masterskill University College of Health Sciences for a diploma in pharmacy, I was told that if my daughter got a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.5 and above, she would qualify to pursue a degree in pharmacy.

However, now, due to a sudden turn of events, I am told that a minimum CGPA of 3.8 is required to do a degree in pharmacy.


When I spoke to a professor at the university, he informed me that the pharmacy board had made the decision that only students with a minimum CGPA of 3.8 would be allowed to do a degree programme.

My daughter has a CGPA of 3.71 and right now, we are at a dead-end because she is unable to continue doing a degree in Malaysia.

I heard that lately all the universities have appealed to the pharmacy board to reconsider its decision and to lower the minimum CGPA requirement to 3.5, but that the outcome would only be known in late October or early November.


Please consider our plight. My wife and I are hoping that our daughter can continue her degree as soon as possible as she has already spent three years studying for a diploma in pharmacy.

Is there any possibility for her to continue her degree as soon as possible?


Title: Degree in pharmacy: Raising the bar is no help
Date: 28-Sep-2010
Category: NST online
I REFER to the letter "Need to revise grading" (NST, Sept 23).

The writer, C.F. of Batu Caves, was worried about his daughter being unable to pursue a degree in pharmacy at Masterskill University College of Health Sciences as the requirement had been revised upwards to a CGPA of 3.8, although initially, students were told all that was required was a CGPA of 3.5. His daughter has a good CGPA of 3.71.

There are many more people facing this problem, including me. My daughter will be finishing her diploma next year. She and I were briefed by officials during road shows and enrolment that if she was able to obtain a CGPA of 3.5 and above she would be eligible to pursue a degree in pharmacy.


We feel cheated now, after all these years of investing time, effort and money. I am a middle-income earner. I want to see my daughter progress without any obstacles.

I appeal to the authorities to consider the plight of people like us and to give our children a fair chance to pursue a degree in pharmacy.

C.H.S
Raub, Pahang.

What is your opinion after reading this? CGPA 3.5 or 3.8?

11 reactions to this post:

  1. They have been duped!? I never heard that the requirement was revised upwards. The requirements have been like that all along, if I am not mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even my friend who under KKM bond also said CGPA 3.5 can continue degree, what is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recently I went to "jaga" MSU booth @ Facon Education Fair, PWTC and several UiTM Diploma holders who could not get 3.8 came and asked lots of questions like changing course, why they could not go to Bachelor, etc etc..

    If not enforced now in IPTA (as you suggested), it would certainly be so in the coming year(s).

    ReplyDelete
  4. life is getting harder *_* my friend went to that fair and he showed me the proof that can continue to overseas with CGPA 2.0 or higher depending on the country. Hurm, this shows that Malaysian didn't defend their education system until most of the students going out from the country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not fair, students should at least given a fair chance to achieve their dreams and vision... results are not everythings! 3.8 just not reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malaysian education qualification for pharmacy is higher...since its dealing with people's life....then what's the diff with MBBS??? its also dealing with peoples life though.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. i supposed the board need to lower down the cgpa to 3.5 or maybe 3.7 above..then it should be okay .because i think their mentality is that u have 3 years to spend to study ur course and its an ample time for them to manage to score a good grades.they should perform better i guess.

    Qualifications for MBBS is lower than pharmacy?? , i guess because pharmacist have is the core of medicine and dealing with people's life more severe compare to doctors.WE have the right to dispense drug and so on not the doc.Therefore,it acquires greater knowledge and ever and i think thats y pointers do matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But doctors who the one prescript medicine to people. If something happen to the people. Lastly will blame to pharmacist?

    ReplyDelete
  9. and then now doctors and vets refuse to hand pharmacist the dispensing right. so I did not see any future in that and now I am doing veterinary medicine

    ReplyDelete